This week on the Bake Off was Botanical Week, which included flowers, citrus fruits and herbs. I decided to make these St. Clements cupcakes as I haven’t made cupcakes for ages and also everyone seems to love a citrus flavoured cake. I found the recipe for the cupcakes here.
You will need:
55g Unsalted Butter, Softened
175g Golden Caster Sugar
2 Large Free-Range Eggs, Beaten
200g Self-Raising Flour
Grated Zest from 1 Orange
Grated Zest from 1 Lemon
150ml Whole Milk
100g Unsalted Butter, Softened
100g Golden Icing Sugar
Grated Zest from 1/2 an Orange
Grated Zest from 1/2 a Lemon
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180c. Line a cupcake tin with 12 baking cases.
2. Beat the softened butter and caster sugar together with an electric whisk or a wooden spoon, until well combined.
3. Whilst still beating, gradually pour in the beaten egg until thoroughly mixed. Gently fold in the flour, orange and lemon zest until just combined.
4. Stir in the milk. Spoon the mixture into the cases, and bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and risen. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
5. For the buttercream, beat together the butter, golden icing sugar and zest of the orange and lemon using an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. For a smoother buttercream, you can replace the zest with a few drops of lemon and orange extract.
6. When the cakes are completely cool, use a small knife to carefully slice little rounds from the top of each cake, then slice the removed sponge in half. Spoon a little of the buttercream on top of the cake and place the halved rounds on top in a butterfly winged position.
Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram