As everyone in the UK and probably now the world is well aware, the Great British Bake Off returned to our screens on Wednesday night for it’s seventh series. Last year, although I didn’t document it on here, I made something every week from the series and this year is no different. The first week was Cake Week and the first bake was a Drizzle Cake. I decided to make my Grandad’s recipe for a Lemon Drizzle Cake given to me by my Mom.
You will need:
4oz/113g Soft Margarine
6oz/170g Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
6oz/170g Caster Sugar
4 tbsp Milk
Zest of 1 Lemon
Lemon Juice of 1 Lemon
4oz/113g Caster Sugar
Extra Caster Sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Mix the margarine, flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs, milk and lemon zest together well, until completely combined.
2. Put the mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin in the middle of the oven, on Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes.
3. When you have taken the cake out of the oven, melt together the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan.
4. Poke holes into the cake with a skewer and pour the syrup into the cake whilst it is still hot.
5. Sprinkle some sugar on top to finish.
I hope you enjoy this cake! Please tweet me if you make it.
Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram